Monday, 15 December 2008

Mancat Monday - For The Love Of Mancats

Tabbus Tabbus & Me

Hello to every cat. It's Oliver here.

Just over a week ago, that fine and fun feline Vampy Vic asked cats to tell a love story. I love all cats, but I wanted to tell you all about a cat I loved very much. His name was Tabbus Tabbus - so tabby they named him twice.


Tabbus was living here when I was trapped by my Mum. Tabbus had been trapped once by her too. He had been living the rough, semi-feral life of a tom cat in the village. By the time I came to live inside Tabbus was well established as the lover boy of the house. Tabbus loved every cat and every human.

As you can see the tradition of sitting on top of the shed to purr is a long one here.


Tabbus showed me how things worked in the house. I became his acolyte and very soon we became firm friends. He showed me all the best sunning spots, the best places to watch for birds and mice and, most importantly he showed me that our humans were not a threat and with a little ad lib cuteness, any cat around here could get pretty much whatever they wanted. We used to hang out together all the time.



You'd find us on the bed watching birds fly by outside and...



contemplating life. If a human called us...


...we'd both answer together

"Is that the sound of cat dishes?"


Tabbus was a wise cat, he knew many good things

He would talk to humans all the time. When Tabbus talked, I talked too. Tabbus was a very fit cat, he was never ill. We used to snuggle together in the kitchen, Tabbus would tell humans about our day whilst they cooked dinner.


Best of all though, were the days we spent snoozing on the bed together. Tabbus was a licker like me and we'd wash each other for hours. Sometimes falling asleep in each other's arms mid-lick.


Whilst we slept I used to hang on to my Tabbus, I never wanted to be parted from him.

I loved him so very much.

If ever a cat or human was ill, Tabbus would be there for them. His purr was mighty. Tabbus made everyone feel better about life. He taught me many good cat things about how to make humans smile
He didn't even mind when I used to squash him against the very hot radiator. Tabbus could never be too hot.

Tabbus was the best pal a cat could have.


On 28th December 2005, Tabbus and me were out playing. Suddenly Tabbus ran indoors, yeowling in agony. Our humans immediately rushed him to the emergency vet. They were very frightened and so was I. The vet tried very hard to save my friend, but it was time for Tabbus to go to The Bridge and Tabbus died.

Our humans asked the vet to do a post mortem. The vet found that Tabbus had a very small liver tumour which had suddenly ruptured, so my dear friend and teacher had internally bled to death. The vet found that Tabbus also had tiny secondary lung tumours, so it would not have been long before Tabbus started to suffer.

Maybe it was better this way. I don't know.

All I know is..

...that I miss my happy, loving Tabbus very, very much.

Tabbus was buried under his favourite sunning spot in the garden. This last picture of Tabbus is him dozing happily on that same spot. After we all said goodbye to Tabbus, I sat on that spot every evening for months on end. Waiting for him for him to come chasing moths and bats with me.

On a summer evening you can still find me sitting there.


Everycat would like you all to remember someone you loved today and smile

109 comments:

Jans Funny Farm said...

Oh, dear. We've just given the keyboard another bath. What a touching love story! Tabbus must have been a very special cat.

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Tabbus sounds like a wonderful cat. Great minds must think alike. We have already created a post on the cat who came before Cheysuli.

Anonymous said...

Oh Oliver Momma and I sat and read it 3 times and bookmarked this post for future "cheering up".
What a wonderful brofur, soulmate and teacher.
Momma thinks that you both knew each other in a previous lifetime and came back to earth to find each other again.
We want to comment on soo many things but are afraid we will turn our comment into a post.
Thank you for sharing Tabbus and your story,it truly is one of a great love! :)))

Lux said...

Tabbus sounds so great - I wish I'd known him. He looks like the bestest friend anycat could have.

Okay, we're remembering and smiling. :)

The Florida Furkids said...

What a beautiful friendship you had with Tabbus! Mom's eyes are all leaky after reading the story.

Snffie and the Florida Furkids

Chesney Cats said...

What a beautiful story!! Efurryone should have a friend like Tabbus!!

Hugs & Purrs,
Sammy, Festus & Emma

Shrek said...

My mommy also has a story like that of her beautiful and dear Shingalana that she will post once she has been able to scan his photos. He was her constant companion, but that was long before I came along.

quiltcat said...

What a beautiful and sad sad story. I know you said to remember someone i loved and to smile, but i'm blubbing like a baby thinking of how much you missed your Tabbus.

Karen Jo said...

Tabbus was a very special cat and a wonderful friend. You wrote a wonderful love story about him. I am remembering someone I loved and smiling.

Forever Foster said...

Oh Oliver. What a truly beautiful tribute to a lovely mancat. He sounds very special indeed. We are sure he is looking forward to showing you around the Rainbow Bridge one day, and teaching you about all the great stuff up there. You have made our mum all blubby thinking about how much you two must love each other:)

Teddy Westlife said...

That story made my mum's eyes go all leaky!

Huffle Mawson

3 Cat Blog said...

Oh what a beautiful tribute to your good friend Tabbus :)

Sorry you lost him, but how lucky you were to have him in your life. You both look so happy together!

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

What a wonderful story and fitting tribute to a very, very special cat. Thank you for sharing your story with us, Oliver.

Your Pals,
Sen-Chan, Tom and Tama-Chan

CROW Cat Rescue said...

That brought tears to my eyes. You've honored Tabbus well.

Kaz's Cats said...

That was a beautiful story about Tabbus. Mum's leaking lots after she read it to us. Big hugs to you Oliver,

Purrs

Gypsy & Tasha

The Island Cats said...

Oliver, that was the best story! Mom's eyes are still leaking...it's so nice to have a special furiend! Thanks so much for sharing this with us...

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Oliver thank you for sharing that magical story of Tabbus. He was a wonder cat and now he is a kitty angel that watches over you and I know he comes to you in that special spot in the garden and you two talk over old times....

purrs
Abby

Cory said...

What a very special cat! You are inspiring us to finally get around to writing our own love story...but mom would have to get busy with the scanner. You already know that we tagged you for an award. This was a very speical tribute to Tabbus Tabbus and we loved reading every word and love the photos.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

What wonderful memories and pictures on your friend Tabbus! I know how much you miss him!

Quill and Greyson said...

Oh Oliver Oliver, what a great story. Tabbus Tabbus taught you so well. Those photos are a delight. I will snuggle Mommy today with no complaints in his honor.

4 Boys and a Lady said...

This is such a beautiful love story. Our mom's eyes are leaking! Thank you for sharing with us such wonderful pictures of Tabbus Tabbus's life. We can tell that he was an extremely special kitty who was very well loved.

Also, thank you for coming to visit our bloggy! We are always happy to meet new friends. You are lovely and charming cats! We'll make sure to visit regularly!

Love,
Nermal, Nico, Virgil, Westley, & Mags.

Maggie May said...

That was the perfect story of love, Oliver. We had a mixture of laughter and tears going on here. When a story can bring that range of emotion, it is the perfect story. We are sorry for your loss. He seemed like a great Mancat!

We feel the same way about our Sylvester who died as suddenly as Tabbus. We feel his was a tumor or something that had burst because he never showed signs of illness. Just died one day while mom and dad were at work. They found him at lunch time. Dad wouldn't let mom do a necropsy because he couldn't bare to see Syl after it was performed and wanted to lay him to rest as soon as possible. It is a mystery that will never be solved.

Purrs,
~The Creek Cats~

Black Cat said...

Oh Oliver, what a beautiful and magical love story and the pictures are gorgeous! I was smiling and blubbing at the same time.

I have given you guys a couple of awards.

I hope you escaped all the floods? :) xxx

seriously amused said...

What a touching story of love and friendship. The accompanying photos caught many special moments and made Mom's eyes fill up.

Sounds like Tabbus was a most special kitty.

Ms. P and Cinza

Anonymous said...

Your lovely story touched us deeply. What a moving tribute to Tabbus. We especially love the black and white photograph of him in the garden.

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

One of the most beautiful love stories we've ever read. Thank you for sharing.
~ The Bunch

Cafe Cats said...

Oh Oliver, Tabbus Tabbus sounds like he was a wonderful mentor and friend.

Snuggles and purrs, the Cafe Cats

Anonymous said...

Oliver, that made our Mom cry, but in a good way. Tabbus Tabbus sounds like he was the best cat a cat or human family could ever hope for! Thank you for sharing his story with us!

Rascal said...

A very sad ending to a wonderful story. What a great way to remember him. Purrs.

mummymeow said...

It is a truly heart tugging story. Tabbus is so beautiful. I know you miss him a lot. The last photo of him had him looking so peaceful. It's the best way to remember him.

Thank you for sharing this touching story.

Anonymous said...

The story of you and Tabbus made all of our tears flow. What a great and wonderful friendship and a great story about him!

las794 said...

What a lovely story, and beautiful photos.

Tybalt said...

What a beautiful story! Mommy and I have leaky eyes now. Thank you so much for sharing Tabbus with us. He is a totally pawsome mancat.

Daisy said...

Oh Oliver, what a wonderful love story! I can tell how much you cared for your friend Tabbus, and those pictures are beautiful. I am a little bit leaky-eyed now. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

PB 'n J said...

Oh we're all leaky-eyed over here - what a wonderful love story! Thank you for telling us about him and showing us how much you loved him.

Dma said...

oh what a great love story. i'll stop crying now.

The Crew said...

Oh gosh Oliver, now Mom's eyes are leaking all over the place! Does anyone have a tissue? (sniffle)

MaoMao said...

Oh my goodness, what a preshus love story. Momma's crying. What a wunnerful love story. And what a great mancat Tabbus was. Thankies fur sharing him with us and the story of your love!

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Nomi said...

A truly unique cat, that was Tabbus. How wonderful to have such happy memories and photos. You must miss him so very much. Purr Purr.

Cat with a Garden said...

That was a truely pawsome post in honour of your beloved friend. We loved all the images! Thank you!
Siena & Chilli

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That was a beautiful story about Tabbus Tabbus, and a lovely set of photos. You were honoured to know him.

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

That is such a sweet story. It is so heartwarming that you have such beautiful memories of the time you spent together.

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Another wonderful story to tell and teach us about a loved one. What a wonderful mancat Tabbus was. See, he is still alive and well in your memory and now he is in owrs as well. He looks like an old soul. Thanks for sharing wif us about him.

Samantha & Mom said...

Oliver, Tabbus Tabbus was a wonderful kitty and you two were the best of furiends!! We cried and cried! Thank you for sharing him with us!!
Your FL furiends,

Sunny's Mommy said...

That is a wonderful love story you shared, Oliver. Tabbus Tabbus was a great mancat and obviously very loving to you and your family.

Ellen Whyte said...

Tabbus sounds wonderful. And the pictures are fantastic. Sad ending but what a happy life he had! You did a great job there.

Kaltsas Kats said...

This story was so great and it made mom cry. Tabbus was very gorgeous. We are glad you guys had a great story to tell about your life together.
-Patches and Nemo

Chrissie said...

That was a good, but sad, story, Oliver. Thanks for tellin' it. I haven't known any other cats besides all you guys in the innernets..but my mom has and she loves them still.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

My Eyes are all leaking here,
Oah my.....

Just Sharlene and the Spice Cats said...

Awwww....the cuddling photos are just so cute! I wish the Spice Cats would cuddle like that.

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

What a loving story and the photos of you two together are just precious.

Catzee said...

That am bof happy an' sad. All rolled up into one story.

Luna und Luzie said...

What a hearttouching story. He was a wonderful cat!!!
Framed with all these wonderful pictures.
Thank you for sharing your memories!!!

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Such a touching story. The PM is all leaky eyed now. So wonderful to find such a loving friend, Oliver. You will see him again and enjoy a good snuggle then.

Purrs to the whole family!

Goldie, Shade and Banshee

Puff said...

That was a beautiful tribute to Tabbus. We know you miss him. I think he looks like my little bro, Baby Jake. Purrs..

Mom wanted me to thank Whicky for his kind words about Randy. He's warm and dry, and is eating and drinking well. He's still very nervous, but he's a good boy.

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Oh, Oliver, all of our eyes are leaking after reading this sweet story about your soulmate. We know you miss him very much.

Hugs and purrs

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Oh goodness....that just touches our hearts. Meowm has leaky eyes. Tabbus was incredible. Thank goodness, that in the end, we get to see our friends again.

Margaret Cloud said...

Sorry about your pal Tabbus, your pictures together are very cute. We did not have a very good November, two of our furbabies went to the Bridge (Willow & Storm). So purrs and headbutts to you Oliver and Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Oliver. What a sweet and touching story! You are very lucky to have had a friend like Tabbus Tabbus.

Kiddo

Maggie May said...

Whicky, cat nip bubbles are lots of fun to play with. They are a lot tougher than regular bubbles and they stick to everything and don't break easily. We love to chase them and whap them around. Maggie loves to eat them and Maya likes to hiss at them. We found them online at Petco, I believe.
~The Creek Cats~

jenianddean said...

That is a wonder and touching story and tribute to Tabbus. We would all be so lucky to have a friend like that.
--Jasper

Mickey's Musings said...

Oliver,that was a lovely story and a sad story . It is not often that you find the perfect soulmate!!! I am happy you found yours!!!! I am sorry he is gone though.
Purrs Mickey

L. Alida said...

Oh Dear Oliver, I am a mess now, of tears and a runny nose. What a beautiful story about two precious kitties. Tabbus must be very loved by all of his friends at the Rainbow Bridge. I am thinking of someone I love with all my heart and soul now. Tookie was a lot like Tabbus.
Sending you all at Everycat warm loving thoughts,
Lorianna

Anonymous said...

Tabbus sounds wonderful.. What a great friend he is/was/is ... Yoo can tell yoo lubs him!

Mr. Chen and Ollie said...

Oh! That is a very very sweet story. The photos are wonderful and Tabbus was truly a great cat indeed. We should all be so lucky to have friends like Tabbus. Thank you for sharing beautiful story and tribute.
Purrs,
Mr. Chen & Ollie

Anonymous said...

Owh!! What a special friendship and catship u have... and that is a very beautiful stories of ur relationship...

our Momoy at the Bridge too. Hope they already met each other and become fren by now...

Tabbus was a great cat! U are a great cat too, u know... :)

Anonymous said...

Tabbus was a great friend of yours. We know you miss him very much...

caspersmom said...

What a blessed love story Oliver. It was so well represented with the great pictures and words. Mom is trying to unblur her eyes to write. I know you miss Tabbus very much but it sounded like he didn't suffer to long. It's good you have other brothers and sisters like you do, even though Tabbus, I know, lives on in your heart.

Casper

ASTOR CATS said...

Thanks for your comments about our Nanny and for the purrs. Our Nanny was special to us and we miss her a lot. Mom is trying to get back to doing things that need to be done but she can't stop springing leaks when she looks around the house. Thanks again for caring.

Midnite & Stray Kitty

Fat Eric said...

My mum is crying now!

That is such a beautiful story about you and Tabbus, Oliver. I am so sorry he is not with you any more. We particularly like the 9th picture down.

*sniff sniff*

Robyn and The (Mostly) Badass Cat said...

Oh that was a byootiful story bout yoo and Tabbus, Oliver. We's sure he'll be waitin to snuggle wif yoo again at the Bridge!
Purrrrrrrrs,
Sanjee and the resta the Hotties

ZOOLATRY said...

Thank you for the wonderful story of Tabbus, your friend forever who now lives on in sweet memory.

Cat Street Boyz said...

Oliver, Tabbus was a handsome fella! Looks like you two were very close, your heart will hold him forever. Thanks for sharing Tabbus with all of us, it sounds like he was a very special gift to your family=^Y^=the Cat Street Boyz
PS...our verification word is(moses!)

Anonymous said...

Oliver, how lucky you are to have had such a beautiful and gentle friend. And it is so very sad to loose a friend like that. Thank you for sharing your story :-)

Love Cliff and Olivia

Anonymous said...

That hugging and squashing photos make me smile! :)

Anyway, do visit my blog, i update with some photos :)

http://el.freakzter.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Oliver,

Tabbus was obviously a gorgeous and lovely cat and your dearest friend - how lucky you were to have each other. Although one never forgets someone so special and always feels sad that they are gone - at least you also have some wonderful special memories to warm your heart. Those photos of you together are adorable.

from Milo's Mom and Milo & Alfie. xxx

Honey P. Sunshine said...

what a wonderful story, we are sorry tabbus had to go away

Gretchen said...

Oh, Oliver, what a wonderful tribute to your best friend. I shed tears as I read about him going to the bridge. I think it was probably a very merciful thing that he went the way he did. He didn't have to suffer longer.

Happy Holliday Hugs...Gretchen & Mike

Team Tabby said...

Oliver, thank you for sharing such a personal and touching story about your great friend, Tabbus Tabbus. Your story warms our hearts.

Mindy, Moe, Bono

Jake and Bathsheba said...

What a lovely story about an extraordinary cat. It made Mom just sob.

Thank you for your well wishes for my pesky brother Jake. He is in the hospital overnight, but is feeling a little better. Jake is also a tabby . . .

~Bathsheba

Katiez Furry Mewz said...

What a wonderful story about Tabbus! He was a gentle love kitty and I know you miss him terriblee. I'm glad him had such a loving furry friend to lean on until he went over da Rainbow Bridge...

Luv,
Katie Too
Junior Comic & CEO
Certified Eccentric n Ornery.

AngelConradie said...

what a beautiful story...
i miss my grampa scratchy very much when i read stories like this one.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! Yes, I cried a bit...our cat Butterscotch crossed the Bridge and we buried her in the backyard and planted a bush over her that is now called the 'B' bush. It will provide a shady spot for the other cats to rest in the summer, just as she did.

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

Oh Oliver, that was the sweetest love story!!! All of our eyes were leaking both happy and sad tears by the time we got to the end of it, because we could feel the love you felt for Tabbus in your voice, and we felt the pain in your heart for losing him. Thank you so much for filling our hearts with love by reading your story ...
Hugs, purrs and headbutts,
Sabrina, Sam and Simon

Niko and Cloud said...

What a beautiful story. Mom says Tabbus sounds a lot like Texas.

That's cool Gerry that you like taking your interferon. Why do you needs to be on interferon though?

Mr. Echo said...

What a grate story. I find myself refleckting on those who came beforr this time of yeer too. Thanks for coming by to listen to my sister in memory sing with the Jingle Cats.

Quasi said...

What a wonderful memorial to your good friend. I hope you and your humans have a great holiday and a happy new year. By the way, what is "boxing day"? Do you get to box with your co-pets without the humans interfering? Or just commandeer empty Xmas boxes? I'd like to have that tradition in this country.

curator said...

Oh, I will smile...(I'm watching Elizabeth bite Bac's tail, so I will indeed)...but first I will cry. I'm so glad you loved him so and sorry you lost him in such a sad way. Blessings on his stripey memory.

My Two Best Friends said...

Meow Meow Whicky Wuudler, Angel, Oliver and Gerry

Thanks for visiting our blog over here in the middle of the USA in Iowa. We are so snow buried, another storm came last night. We are so glad Mom keeps us warm and toasty in the house. We would love to link to your wonderful blog. Is that Ok
Purrs
Mama, MrSippi and Carolina
3 kitty-kats in Des Moines, iowa

Jodi's Book Reviews said...

thanks you for the purrs. we likes being your fur friend.

Jimmy Joe said...

Wow, Tabbus Tabbus was a true Master Cat and I am very glad I got to learn about him. You have honored him wonderfully with your story, Oliver.
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

animalfamily said...

great blog! i just love the pics of them snuggling together!

CRIZ LAI said...

What a great post! I'm sure there's always someone out there who would need our hug today. :)

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

Ingrid said...

What a nice brother you had and yu look so cute together !!
And Oliver you have such a funny face it really makes me laugh !

Fat Eric said...

Me again!

Mum just let me unpack my Secret Paws presents and they were from YOU!!!

The prezzies are great, I have already made the nip carrot all wet by drooling all over it and I particularly like the blue feathers on the stick, I have been attacking them a lot this evening. And my dad is furry happy with his chocolate.

And the card is great too! (although I may have drooled on it slightly in my excitement)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoebe said...

That was a beautiful, well-written story. It's rare that I read posts twice!

My Littel Island said...

thank you for your beautiful story i cant see right now it is raning so hard on my face lol

Anonymous said...

My goodness that was a beautiful story and the pictures were great too. thank you for sharing it.
Harry

Poppy Q said...

That was such a beautiful story about fabulous Tabbus and the love you two shared. I think you should get your beans to make a book about it, it is so sweet.

I am sure Tabbus angel is watching and waiting for you.

Smooches.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

I am so sorry.... this post made me cry. Tabbus was a handsome, wise and very special feline family member, indeed. He didn't want to cause anyone any worry, so he never indicated that he was ill. He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. Rest in peace, dear Tabbus.

missfinn said...

oh dear,that was a beautiful story!! Tabbus Tabbus is resting in peace, no doubt about that..
thank you for the lovely writing..

love,
JiMbO

whitesocks said...

How beautiful :). And so...I'm remembering all those fur babies gone to rainbow bridge over the long years ...darlings Whitesocks and Silky and Melou and Gerai and Est and Nermal and Sundu and Brown Baby and Steelum and Anamika and Hexagon and Orange and Pestoo and Teenager and and and...Mommy loves and misses each one of you.

Willow said...

My goodness, China Cat and I just found out about Tabbus tonight. What a touching story about such a wonderful cat!

Purrrrrrrrs, Willow

Jessica said...

they are adorable together!!! i love group cat shots. :)

Zach Atteberry said...

Cutest.story.ever this was really a magic story that i found really inspiring good work =]

ihavecat said...

What a wonderful post. You were so lucky to have such a loving brother and mentor. I loved the pictures of you two asleep in eachother's arms (or paws?!). What a love story for sure. You and Tabbus are lucky kitties for sure.
T

GLOGIRLY said...

Oliver,
I just read your post today... a whole month after your brother Tabbus went to the bridge. Your words have touched my heart very deeply. I will come back to them for inspiration. My eyes are crying, but I am also smiling at the memories of my mom and day, my beloved past pets and now you and Tabbus. Thank you so much for this. I hope your heart is healing.

love,
Glogirly

Admiral Hestorb said...

Oh Oliver, my mommy and I are just weeping at this beautiful love story about you and Tabbus. I didn't know about him going to the bridge and I grieve with you and your humans for I know how loved I am by my mommy and how sad she is if I am ill.

I loved the pictures of you and he in one another's arms sleeping. You are much loved by your people and by the rest of us.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

They are all so different and all so dear. We lost our Dear Wendell in October 2010...only 4 months ago. He was the dearest boy and was only 14.
We waited no time to adopt two little siblings. House was too quiet.
Love to all your cats.