Monday, 1 October 2012

Oliver, Farewell Puffy Boy...

Oliver Pozz Bollywogz de Bozmonger
Born: (maybe) 2000 
Bridge: 28th September 2012

It is with a horrible, lingering shock and sadness that I wanted to tell our friends that Oliver, our beautiful fluffy boy, our Puffkin, who was made of love for all cats suddenly went to The Bridge in the early hours of last Friday.
Whiskers awry on lookout duty

Thursday night, we went to bed about 00:15 and five minutes later I heard a strange miaow from the kitchen. I immediately went to investigate, strange miaows mean something. Oliver was lying on his side on the floor, still and giving sad pain filled miaows. He was on a cushion that had been on the chair by the counter, which was his step to get up to where the fuuds are kept.  I thought he had fallen whilst jumping up and the cushion had slipped and had hurt his back, but inside I knew it was something worse.


I went to him and touched his head, speaking softly to him and he screamed, a real splitter of a scream and bit my finger through to the bone. I gently felt down his body and from about midway down his back he was limp. His tail was limp, his back legs had no tension. Nothing.

Dozing in the doorway to the garden this summer
We got him onto a towel, more fingers bitten to the bone in the process and slid him into the carrier using the towel as a sling. He screamed and yelled with every touch. He was terrified, in agony.  Our vet is about 3 minutes walk around the corner and they have their own out of hours service. We put in the call and got him there in the car within a few minutes. Liz the vet met us at the door and examined our lad in his carrier on the floor of the surgery.  He'd been thrashing about inside the carrier and got tangled up in the towel sling.  We slowly tipped the carrier on it's side so the lid could be used to slide him out with minimal movement. Liz checked him carefully and gently.  She could feel no femoral pulse at all, his heart rate was wild and erratic and worst of all, his back legs were cold and starting to stiffen.
Making sure Mungo knew he was loved
I had feared the worst when I found him,  Saddle Thrombus had flicked through my mind, then Liz confirmed it. Powerful clot busting drugs and even specialist surgery were all there was and even then, the chances of our loving Oliver making any recovery were utterly remote. There was nothing to be done to save him, no miracle, no treatment that would be safe or effective that wouldn't leave him in a terrible state. Liz said she had never seen a cat successfully treated for this and the treatment would be arduous, too arduous. Too much for our lovely Oliver.

In the face of that, the awful decision made itself. Liz gave Oliver a sedation shot and as he dozed off, still growling, we stroked him very gently and whispered our love to him, thanking him for the eight years he shared with us and for the love he shared with all of the cats who have lived here. Oliver always looked after any cat who was sick or injured. He always knew when a cat was about to fall sick or it would soon be time for them to go to The Bridge and would stay with them until they were well or it was time for them to go.  He was an expert ear licker and groomer. He was friends with all of the neighbourhood cats and a wonderful friend to us, the apes.

Keeping a paw on Wuudler & Gerry
Once he was asleep, Liz carefully lifted him to the table, even asleep he still managed a growl, that's how bad the pain of Saddle Thrombus is. The final shot went into his leg vein and even though the sedation shot and the thrombus slowed his circulation down a great deal, in a few moments, he breathed his last, made a couple of respiratory spasms and he was gone.

We stayed with him for a long time. Stroking him, talking to him, feeling his wonderfully soft fur.  Beautiful friend, suddenly gone. 

Dreamytime lens hussy
How could this have happened? We asked ourselves again and again, but Liz assured us there was nothing we could have done that would have predicted this. Oliver was the healthiest cat we'd shared our lives with over 20 years living here.  He had no major health conditions. One vet, years ago thought he could detect an "only just grade 1" heart murmur, but no other vet could detect it again. But then we thought back to August. 
A floofy lad needs his oatgrass

On 22nd August, Oliver had suddenly had two small Grand Mal seizures within 30 minutes of each other. He had behaved normally in the run up, just like he did last Thursday. He came around from the seizures very quickly, got up and went to eat his crunchers. We got him to the vet straight away. He was hospitalised overnight under supervision incase he had more fits. The first blood panel showed a very low level of potassium, so he was given a potassium supplement on his food. The next day the K level was back to normal. As low potassium can develop spontaneously in older cats and Oliver was probably about 13 years old - that was the diagnosis. Everything else checked out fine. He had a K supplement for two weeks and several check up panels, he seemed as right as rain again.

Good mancat pals
Mario. the vet who attended him had a niggle though. Oliver's heart rate would race then slow under examination, during the space of a single breath, which is not totally unusual, but something about it niggled, something he couldn't put his finger on.  Oliver seemed well and settled, he had no more fits, so it was put down to the level of K.

I might be Puffkin but now I've had Enuffkin!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We discussed the previous fits with Liz as our lovely lad lay there lifeless and she wondered if the fits may have been caused by tiny pieces of clot breaking off and going to his brain. If at the time, Oliver had had a heart rate issue that had been significant, he would have had an ultrasound immediately, but there was nothing at the time that showed he had a problem with his heart.

Oliver and Gerry doing the chair share

Gerry and our "new since February" mancat Mungo are now wandering the house, looking for Oliver in all his sleeping places. They are subdued, as are we apes. We are still in shock, still asking ourselves if there is anything we could have done, if there was something we did that caused it? We know the answer is no. Sometimes this just happens, our wonderful furry darlings are here, then they are gone. It just happens.

First sleep with Mungo

Sometimes you just have to wait to grieve too. I took my bitten fingers to the GP on Friday morning and was sent straight to hospital for 24hrs of IV antibiotics. It's amazing just how big ape fingers can grow when they have the bitey legacy of Oliver.  At the time I thought I'd rather be missing an odd finger or two than missing Oliver.

Oliver during his first week here. He soon grew some more floof.

Oliver came to us out of the blue. He'd been lurking occasionally for a couple of years, he never stopped to feed. He was a grubby, thin stray. Then one day a neighbour found him in her house eating her cat's food. So we set a trap inside her cat door and caught him. Neutered and fed, he soon blossomed and formed a firm, deep friendship with Tabbus

Snow patrol from the inside where it's warm

Oliver was always his own cat, he would tell us when he wanted to be petted, where on his body he wanted the pets and it was a firm bitey for any ape who didn't heed his direction. The only time he would settle on a lap was when an ape was sitting on the toilet, then he would purr and knead, in total delight. He refused to be brushed, despite us trying every type of cat and ape baby brush available. Lately I'd tried using some TTouch techniques with him, but he wasn't buying any of it.  He kept his own coat and the coats of every other cat immaculate. This was especially valuable for Gerry our funsized scruffbag.

Watching the snow fall
Oliver would come and snuggle in the ape bed most nights, having a good knuckling around his big chops, purring up a storm, then he'd suddenly have had enough and be off to the end of the bed or to snuggle with one of the other felines for the night.

Oliver was a mighty hunter too. He was the scourge of mice and Greenfinches.

Showing a mousie that a career as cat food is in the offing

So here we are, one friend down. Many empty beds, many echos of a good life filled with love and the hope that somewhere, at The Bridge, Oliver is reunited with all the feline friends he had loved and lost over the years.


Farewell lovely Puffkin, please watch over us if you can
We will always love and remember you.




102 comments:

Quill and Greyson said...

Oh my goodness! I am in shock too as I read this. I am so sorry for your loss.

Love to you all as you try to recover from the shock and grief of losing such a gentle and amazing boy.

Meg

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

I am so shocked and sorry! He was a beautiful soul and will be missed greatly.

A few Good Cats said...

We're so sorry to hear the sad news about your beloved Oliver. We send comforting vibes and purrayers for your loss.

Samantha & Mom said...

Oh my!! We just heard about Oliver going to the Rainbow Bridge!! Lots of love and hugs to you all!! We loved the pictures and all the wonderful stories about him!!
Your TX furiends,

Team Tabby said...


Those are lovely photos of Oliver! We were interested to read of his life with you and how much he loved everyone and was so loved in return. It is very sad that he is gone so suddenly and unexpectedly, so sorry for you all.

One of ours succumbed to a similar diagnosis very suddenly back around 2005. We were aware of his heart condition when we took him in - he had no where to go - but we had almost a year with a very high strung but fun cat.

We hope your memories of Oliver will bring comfort now and in the days ahead.

Nina and the kitties:
Mindy
Moe
Cookie
Mike

PS hope the chewed up fingers are healing nicely!

GreatGranny said...

I so enjoyed reading about your little sweetheart and I'm so sorry you lost him. Our furbabise never leave our hearts.

meowmeowmans said...

We're so sorry to hear of your beloved Oliver's sudden passing. Your love for him is abundantly clear through this lovely tribute post.

If only there were something -- anything -- we could say or do to ease your sorrow and pain. But we know there is not. It somehow feels inadequate, but we offer you our sincerest purrs, prayers and loving thoughts to you.

Our wish is that some day, the memories of good times spent with Oliver will outweigh your sadness.

Hugs to you all, dear friends.

Kevin, Tracey, Sammy and Moosey

Gemini and Ichiro said...

We are very sorry to hear about Oliver. Purrs to you.

Mr Puddy said...

My heart is sinking. A kind of sudden ! Must be so hard to deal for your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Purrs for your soul
Hugs

The Lee County Clowder said...

So sorry to hear about Oliver. Sometimes, there just isn't anything you can do.

Cat said...

I am so very sorry to hear about your beautiful boy Oliver!!! Please accept my sincere condolences.

Jans Funny Farm said...

Oh,no, we are so sorry to learn you've lost your handsome and sweet Oliver! We have no words. Just {{{hugs}}}!

Max said...

Oh man...I am so, so sorry. He was wicked cool...

mog said...

Such a sweetheart, caring for the other kitties. I can only imagine your loss. Your loving tribute and tale of his last moments brought tears to my eyes. Sending heartfelt purrs and prayers.

Angel Prancer Pie said...

We are so sorry to hear about your handsum boy. The shock must be awful. No words can help what you must be feeling now. We hope your fingers heal quickly and we'll be purraying and purring fur you. Nosetaps from all of us at Prancer Pie.

Charlemagne and Tamar said...

We're very sorry to learn of the loss of your precious Oliver. He was a wonderful kitty.

Sending purrs to comfort you,
Charlemagne, Tamar and Mal

Cory said...

We are so upset and shocked to hear of Oliver's sudden crossing to The Bridge. We never know when it will be our last day with our babies. You are so right, it just happens. We know the shock of losing one to a clot...so sudden and so upsetting.

Surrounding you with purrs,

Cory and family

Chesney Cats said...

Oh no! We are so very sorry for your loss. Sending hugs & purrs.

The Furries of Whisppy said...

We are so shocked and saddened by Oliver's sudden passing. We're glad he was surrounded by his loved ones as he made the transition and is now pain free.
Sending all of you purrs and hugs.

Sparkle said...

Although I'm not a blogger you are familiar with, I did want to reach out a paw of sympathy because I could feel how loved Oliver was and how horrible it was to have him leave so suddenly and so painfully. Please know that no matter what happened in the past few months leading up to this, no one could have predicted this happening, and you gave Oliver the life, and the respect that he wanted and deserved. Purrs to you.

Old Kitty said...

Oh my gosh. I am so so sorry. I am teared up reading what happened to poor sweet angel Oliver. I am so sorry for the trauma and the pain and Oliver, sweet beautiful Oliver leaving you all like so. I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing his story here and also for the warning signs to this blood clotting - it may help others, I know it will. Take care
x

Forever Foster said...

We are so very sorry to hear that your glorious boy was called away so suddenly. Oliver was a beautiful boy, and all that love he freely sent out has made this a better world to live in.

Sending much love, and hopes of a speedy recovery for your fingers.

Cats Herd You said...

Our condolences on your shocking loss. Purrs to your whole family.

Brian's Home Blog said...

I am so very, very sorry to hear about dear sweet Oliver. That is such a shock, especially when it comes so quickly. We lost my brother Ivan in the middle of the night. We send you lots of hugs, purrs and love and one day your heart will smile with happy memories. Run free dear Oliver, run free.

Hannah and Lucy said...

We are so sorry to hear the very sad news that your loving Oliver has gone to Rainbow Bridge. It is always heartbreaking to lose your special furries but to happen like it did to Oliver must be devastating for you. We expect he is watching over you and purring for you to try and ease your pain.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

Anonymous said...

My beloved snack loving nephew, Oliver. I miss you and grieve for you. Thinking of your mum, dad, and your brothers. Love you always, Auntie Miriam

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Oh no no no how dreadfully sad for you Jane...sweet Oliver (that is my son's name after Oliver Reed) was a most handsome boy cat. It is hard to understand that they can leave us so quickly and we stand alone wondering what happened or what we could have done differently.
Thank you for sharing your boy with us in your beautiful post..we got to know him even better. Now he is with those who went before him...it has been a hard year for you first losing Whicky Wuudler last summer. The cozy cottage sends you soft hugs for your loss...
We care so much...Karla

The Island Cats said...

Oh no! We are so sorry to hear about Oliver. Such a handsome face! We send you all comforting purrs and headbutts (and mom sends hugs) to help during this sad time.

Quinn and Angel brandi said...

Our hearts go out to you! We still miss Whicky Wuudler, but at least now he has some more sweet company. We love all the pictures. What a sweet tribute!

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

We are shocked and our hearts are breaking for you! We're sure Whicky Wuudler was there at the Bridge to welcome his buddy. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful mancat. (((hugs)))

Sharz said...

i'm sorry for your lost... hope u will be okay...

Random Felines said...

safe journey over the Bridge Oliver - we know you will be well met....

we are so very very sorry for your loss. we hope that in time good memories will replace the sad ones

Marg said...

We are so sorry Oliver that you got that horrible hurt. Thank COD Mom got up to see what was going on. Sending tons of purrs and some great big hugs to the Mom. We know she is very sad. Take care.

Forty Paws said...

We are so very sorry that Oliver had to cross over. We're glad that you took care of him, and that he caught mice and Greenfinches for you. He was a very handsome boy. Many hugs and purrs are being sent to you from all of us.

Luf, Us and Maw

Colehaus Cats said...

Sweet Oliver, we are so sorry to hear that you had to leave. His tribute is just the best. Our purrs go out to you all.

Pip said...

I am so sorry that I missed this. Oliver was a good nurse cat. I am sure he will be sadly missed, and greatly remembered.
Our condolences to Oliver's family!

Parker said...

How sad - I am so very sorry! Please know that you and yours are in our prayers. Such a lovely guy...

Sweet Purrfections said...

We are so sorry to hear about Oliver. We're sending comforting purrs to all of you as you grieve your loss. We are also sending healing purrs for your fingers.

Truffle and Brulee

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

We are all so very sorry to hear the Oliver went OTRB. What a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful loving furry feline family member. We send you soft rumbly purrs to you to help in a small way to ease your pain and sadness. WE will keep you all in our purrayers and we will light our candle in Oliver's memory.

(hugs)
purrs
>^,,^<
✿•*¨`*•. ♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥✿•*¨`*•.

Daisy said...

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Oliver.

Rest in peace, Oliver. You were a Real Good Boy.

GreatGranny said...

I'm sorry but I forgot to mention. I hope the kitty bite is healing well.

curator said...

Oh! I am so very sorry and the Museum crew sends you every bit of love in the world. I hope Oliver finds all his friends across the Bridge...perhaps he will meet all my girls there. Big, big hugs. x

momsbusy said...

sending comforting purrs and healing prayers. oliver has joined whicky wuudler in keeping the garden at the bridge in purrfect order. not sure how the mice will feel about that though. ;)

keeping you in our prayers.

cats of wildcat woods said...

What a beautiful tribute to your beloved Oliver! you are right - sometimes these things happen and there was nothing you could have done to prevent it. I am so very sorry for your loss. I am sure there is a new star in the night sky watching over you always named Oliver.

Mo and The Purries said...

Sending condolences from all of us at Purrchance To Dream.

The Florida Furkids said...

We're so sorry to hear about Oliver. We know, too well, how shocking it is to have a furkid leave us so quickly. You're in our purrs and prayers.

The Florida Furkids

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Sending our condolences, and so sorry for your loss. Mom knows how difficult it is to lose a furkid. Pirrs from all ofus.
-JB

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

We haven't been visiting much lately, but when we read the sad news of Oliver's passing, we made Teri bring us by to purr for you our most healing of purrs. Teri, too, has lost a kitty to a saddle thrombus and she said she knows how those 'if only' thoughts are hard to push away. May the sweet memories of your love of Oliver help soften the sadness as you grieve for the loss of such a friend...Your tribute and all the photos are so full of love and tenderness, we all are blinking back the tears here...Fly Free, Puffkin...

Fr. Tom Fish said...

With tears we read your loving tribute to Oliver. We are so sorry and send love and purrs to ease your sorrow. Wish we could do more.

Hugs and prayers,
Tom, Mom Julie, Mitty, Tinker & Anastasia

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

What a horrible shock for you! We are so sorry, we know the pain all too well. Patches was there to meet and greet along with all the other cats at the bridge. There is nothing we can say to ease the pain but memories will always remain.

Calicomom Toni and the girls

Angel MoMo said...

Oh nos, I couldn't believe what I read. So sorry that sweet Oliver had to leave for the Bridge. Soft angel purrs, kind thoughts and hugs to you all. MoMo will be there to welcome Oliver until we all meet again some day.

Nikita and Elvira said...

Our condolences, purrs and purrayers, from our new home in Houston, TX.

Such sad news tgo go with beatiful pics.

We know that the Everycat Himself is at gate of the Bridge to meet him.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

So very sorry to hear of this sudden loss of your sweet Oliver.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Oh no!! We just heard about Oliver going to the Rainbow Bridge!! Lots of love and hugs to you all!! We loved the pictures and all the wonderful stories you shared about him.

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

What a painful and awful shock to loose little Oliver that way. I am so very sorry. What a special and loved boy he was. Sending you healing love and hoping all those lovely memories of Oliver enjoying the good life will sustain you in your grief.

Love Jan, Milo and Alfie xxx

The Misadventures Of Me said...

Oh the mom is leaky - and squeezing us all. We is sorry Oliver had to leave fer da bridge. Soar high sweet one.

Purrs and Headbutts,
Molly
Shadow
Trooder
Mooch
Mustachio
Toot

(((hugs)))
Mom Laure

Mariodacat said...

OMC - How very swad this is. That poor baby. Our thoughts go out to you too for what you had to go through. How very frightening and helpless you must have felt. At least he is happy now and no more pain. A big HUG for his humans. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Fuzzy Tales said...

I'm so, so sorry. In truth, I couldn't read the entire post because as I was going along I knew *exactly* what had happened. I lost my beloved Chumley the same way, the night of January 24, 2007, and his screams of pain will forever live in my memory. It's not a sound I ever want to hear ANY cat make again, and it's not a sound I would want any human to have to hear--especially coming from their beloved fur companion.

All I can do is send you Light and Love. Please know in your heart there was NOTHING you could have done. I had no prior warning with Chum, no vet gave any indication that there was a problem.

My boys (Nicki and Derry) are sending their purrs, and I'm sending (((hugs))).

Eventually--eventually--your grief and pain will ease. But it takes so, so long.

Peace and Blessings.

Kim

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We are so very sorry to hear of Oliver's sad passing. This is such a beautiful and loving tribute to him. We send you our consoling purrs. Mum sends (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I am so so sorry to hear about sweet Oliver going to the Bridge, and in such a sudden and scary way too. I have always had a soft spot for Oliver the "schlurper", ever since he used to exchange schlurping tips with Fat Eric, who also loved to lick everyone. I know Eric and Oliver will be happily schlurping each other when they meet up at the Bridge! It is so hard at these times. (((Hugs))) to you and I hope that the fingers are on the mend.
Kate
and Dora the Explorer.

Ann Boyajian said...

Oh dear. I just found your blog for the first time and read about Oliver. I am so so sorry. Purrs and prayers for you.

Rusty's Mom said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your Oliver. I know how hard it is to lose such a great furry companion/friend. Be assured that he is now at the Bridge with so many other much loved ones, waiting for us to join them one day. I now my Poco, Strider, Rusty and Grady are there waiting for me to give them scritches.

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

We are so very sorry to read the sad news about precious Oliver. We are so very sorry for your loss. We send you comforting hugs and purrs.

Clooney said...

What an absolutely beautiful tribute to your precious Oliver. It is evident what a special boy he was and how much you loved him. We send you our gentlest purrs and comforting thoughts for this sudden, heart-breaking loss of yours.

Be Well Sweet Oliver

Teddy Westlife said...

Kitties and apes, I am so sorry.

Terri said...

We are so very sad to read about Oliver going to The Bridge. Such a terrible ordeal for all of you. We are sending purrs and hugs to you and your other furbabies.

ZOOLATRY said...

Farewell to a dear, sweet and loving boy ... you'll always be remembered.
Ann
Maggy and Zoey

Marilia said...

Oh noes!!!! Receive my condonlences!!!!!! So very sorry!

Pasha's Mommy said...

Oh my Lord, I just saw this on CB. I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Oliver. It is very heart breaking!!! I really am very sorry!
((((((((((Hugs))))))))) ♥

Maggie@shelter-cats said...

What a beautiful cat. I'm so sorry for your shocking and heart wrenching loss.
We are never prepared for these sad departures.
I hope the happy memories of your sweet guy will bring you peace.

Fur Everywhere said...

I'm so sorry about Oliver. I cannot even imagine how hard this is. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

We are so sad to hear about Oliver. We just saw about him on CB and came right over. Our purrs of comfort to you at this sad time...

Katie Isabella said...

My Admiral, aka MissusCatt sends her angel love and comfort to you and is showing your Oliver about along with dearest Angel Whicky Wuudler.

Mom sends her love and regard and love and hugs and I, my purrs and lovies.

Kat said...

We are so sorry. We know the loss of losing a loved one and send all our purrrs of love and comfort your way. We are so sad for you and send our love.

Sasha said...

I share your grief, having just lost my beloved Diamond. Thank you for visiting Diamond and leaving a kind message for me. I doubt there was anything you could have done to save your Oliver. You were very lucky to have been so close to the vet.
best wishes,
Lynettea

Mrs Mac said...

I am so sorry. I have been so wrapped up in my own grief, I have only just found this. My heart goes out to you as I know what you are going through; it is a month today for Scooter. SO much of your description of Puffkin sounds like my boy, it made me smile through tears. Reluctance to brushing, watching from the window, cuddly stuff only when HE said so....

My dad's cat, Benji, died in the summer in exactly the same circumstances as Puffkin. His back legs went, and then went cold. He was crying out, his friend cat Jimmy tried to help him up then licked and licked him, but he couldn't get up.

Dad's vet said it was a blood clot, expained that there was a treatment that would help extend life for a few weeks, but would result in bad renal failure and a horrible death. She, like your vet, said she'd never seen an animal recover from this kind of clot. So he had to let him go.

Dad, too, has gone over and over things to see if there were warnings. He spotted a little blood on the doorstep a week before, and wondered if this was significant.

But he can't find any answers.

Jimmy, the other cat, looks for him, even carrying food outside for him and leaving it in places Benji used to lay.

It is a cruel, cruel thing to happen. Out of the blue, so quick, no warning.

As I said to dad I say to you- you were his forever home, his only real parents, his first time truly loved and cared for. You gave him a loving time, you rescued him. You sure he knew what it was like ot be a beloved cat. You did a wonderful thing. And in the end you were able to stop his pain when he needed you most.

But I know from current experience, these words will sit on the surface and fail to sink down to where it hurts.

)))love and hugs(((

Tigger said...

As usual, I am late in Reading this, and I offer my most sincere apologies. Mom is weeping again for you and your family. Please know that any cat would be so fortunate to have found a home with you. You are great family members and caregivers to your kitites, and such a support system to those of us on the cat blogosphere. I hope by the time you are reading this, some wounds have healed a bit. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Tigger, Mom, and Georgie

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

So so sorry to know :(

Katiez Furry Mewz said...

What heart moving photos of Oliver... Several years ago, Mouse, a shy kitty with developmental issues, passed away during the night. She had acted a bit strange, wanting to leave the house and go with me somewhere... Which she never does. I looked for her in her favorite hiding place the next morning and she was gone. I still miss her.

Katie Kat.

Karen Jo said...

I am so very sorry about Oliver. You are so right in that sometimes bad stuff just happens out of the blue. I am sure that he is having a great time at the Bridge with all his friends.

Zoe and Indy said...

So, so sorry to read this.

Karen Jo said...

Thank you so much for your kind words about Herman. I am sure that he did pass peacefully and is now romping around with Whicky and Oliver and all the other Bridge cats.

Lily said...

Thank you so much for your comments when Lily was missing and came back. It meant so much to me and Lily's Daddy! Sorry to have missed when Oliver ran off to the bridge. He was such a handsome cat. We're sending purrs and hugs to you.

Angel Gracie=^o.o^= said...

Awwwww, I just read your beautiful tribute to Oliver. What a beautiful kittie he was. I know you keep him close to your heart and thoughts each and every day. They do steal a piece of your heart and one is never the same once they have to leave us.
Thanks for coming over to help me celebrate my birthday and making my day extra special. Hope you had a good time.

Mrs Mac said...

Dropping by to drop off hugs and look at toes xxx

Mrs Mac said...

Dropping by to drop off hugs and look at toes xxx

Cats Herd You said...

We're so sorry about your loss of Oliver. We didn't see this post until just now. He sounds like he was a wonderful cat and gave you much joy. We know his tenth life will be your memories of him.

We also wanted to thank you for your kind words of comfort for the loss of Cousin Nellie. As I'm sure you know, it means a lot during a difficult time to have the cat blogosphere share their caring and comfort. Thank you again.

Hilary said...

I am so sorry for your loss but I know your friend is watching over you and will always love you...

The Florida Furkids said...

Thanks so much for coming to our wedding.

Sniffie and Nimbus

Timmy Tomcat said...

We read your words over on Opinionated Pussycat. So sorry about Oliver. You sound like an amazing cat and we purray that you are flying free until we all meet again

Selina said...

Guys I don't get to visit your blog often so I just now saw this. I'm so sorry about Oliver. Please know MomKatt & I are purring for you - a little late, but we know you still miss him terribly.

He's with you all in spirit, in your hearts.

Purrs,
Selina & MomKatt Laura

John Bellen said...

Thank you for your comments on my blog. I wasn't sure if you continued to come to yours to read the comments; I see people are still condoling about Oliver. What a wonderful cat he must have been, comforting both humans and his fellow felines. One know that these animals touch us, but one never knows just how much until they are gone. Good luck to all there.

Fluffy said...

Gary, Mungo & their Apes, we are so sorry for your loss.
We've just learned about Oliver's passing - 6 months later. We wanted to thank you for your kind words about Cayenne and were wondering how come that Oliver didn't sign the comment and ...who is Mungo (sorry Mungo - we love you)
It must be so hard for all of you!
Words can't describe the feeling of loss and love.
Love & hugs
Fluffy, mummy & daddy

Fluffy said...

Gerry, I did misspell your name and I apologize but I was in shock and tears when I wrote yesterday!
I knew Cayenne secretly loved Wuudler very munch but I was quite shocked to learn about Olive's passing and I was crying reading the tribute to him.
He was such a beautiful, handsome and caring little boy!
Love
Fluffy

RedSetter said...

I came here to say hello and thank you for your comment on my blog but I am hearbroken for you on the loss of your gorgeous boy.

What a honey he is, and he obviously had a beautiful nature too. Even though he was in awful pain he would have been comforted by knowing his loved ones were there. Love and hugs to you, RedSetter.

meowmeowmans said...

Dear Gerry, Mungo and Jane (The Ape),

Thank you, our friends, for stopping by with such poignant, kind and thoughtful comments when it was time for Sammy to leave for the Bridge. Your words are such a comfort to us at this sad time.

We miss you, and think of you often.

Much love, and big hugs to you all.

Kevin, Tracey, and Moosey

Hannah and Lucy said...

Thank you for your comment on our blog today. We miss seeing you on the cat blogosphere and hope you are all keeping well.
Luv and purrs Hannah, Lucy and silly Mum Sue xx xx

The Florida Furkids said...

Thank you so much for your kind words about Auntie El's passing. We're sorry it's taken so long to reply but Mom is having a hard time. It's comforting to have the support of the Cat Blogosphere at this sad time.

The Florida Furkids and Mom Sharon

The Misadventures Of Me said...

=( We hope he is always lookin in on yoo and the apes.

We is sorry the Mom is late in helping to answer our blog comments. She's a mad person mixing up lotions, salves and whatever else she makes fer her big convention next month.

Fanks fer stoppin by!

The Creek Cats said...

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes!
XOXO
Saylor

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

We hope that all is well with you, friends. Thank you for leaving a message for us a few months ago.
We miss our Mom very much but we're doing okay.

Love,

Sabrina, Sam and Simon

cj- catmumdo said...

Such a special cat. It sounds like he had a wonderful home with you. xx